Keep a back up of your favorite photos, notes and more. Here’s how to back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch with iCloud.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
If you back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you’ll have a copy of your information to use in case your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged.
How to back up with iCloud
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
You can check the progress and confirm the backup completed. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Under Back Up Now, you’ll see the date and time of your last backup.
How to back up with iTunes
- Update to the latest version of iTunes.
- Open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.*
- If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. If you forgot your passcode, get help.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes. If your device doesn’t appear in iTunes, learn what to do.
- If you want to save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup: Select the box called Encrypt [device] backup and create a memorable password. If you don’t need to save your Health and Activity data, you can make a backup that isn’t encrypted. Just click Back Up Now.
- When the process ends, you can see if the backup finished successfully on the Summary screen in iTunes. Just look under Latest Backup to find the date and time.