Learn how to use two apps side by side on your iPad, and drag and drop photos, links, contacts, and more, from one app to the other.
Use Multitasking on your iPad
On your iPad with iOS 11 or later you can use Multitasking to work with two apps at the same time, answer emails while watching a video, switch apps using gestures, and much more.
Use two apps at the same time with the new Split View
With Split View, you can use two apps at the same time. You can view photos while you compose an email or look at a location in Maps while you search for vacation ideas in Safari.
How to use Split View:
- Open an app.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Dock.
- On the Dock, touch and hold the second app that you want to open, then drag it off the dock.
- When the app opens in Slide Over, drag down.
How to adjust Split View:
- To give the apps equal space on the screen, drag the app divider to the center of the screen.
- To turn a Split View into a Slide Over, swipe down from the top of the app.
- To close Split View, drag the app divider over the app that you want to close.
Drag and drop between apps
With drag and drop you can move text, photos, and files from one app to another. You can drag text from Safari into a note, an image from Photos into a an email or a calendar event into a text message.
- Open the two apps in Split View or Slide Over.
- Touch and hold the item until it lifts up. To select multiple items, touch and hold an item, drag it slightly, then continue to hold it while you tap additional items with another finger. A badge indicates the number of selected items. To drag and drop text, select the text first, then touch and hold the text until it lifts up.
- Drag the item to the other app and drop it.
Switch apps using gestures
Use Multitasking gestures on your iPad to quickly see the app switcher, switch to another app, or return to the Home screen:
- See the app switcher: In iOS 12, swipe up with one finger from the bottom edge of the screen and hold in the middle of the screen until the app switcher appears. You can also double-click the Home button to see all of your open apps. Swipe right with one finger to find and open a different app.
- Switch apps: While using an app, swipe left or right with four or five fingers to switch to a previously used app. On an iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation), swipe along the bottom edge of your screen to switch between previously used apps.
- Return to the Home screen: In iOS 12, while using an app, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen. You can also pinch four or five fingers together on the screen to return to the Home screen.
Turn Multitasking features on or off
To turn Multitasking features on or off, go to Settings > General > Multitasking & Dock, then you can do the following:
- Allow Multiple Apps: Turn off if you don’t want to use Slide Over or Split View.
- Persistent Video Overlay: Turn off if you don’t want to use Picture in Picture.
- Gestures: Turn off if you don’t want to use Multitasking gestures to see the app switcher, return to the Home screen, and more.
- Show Suggested and Recent Apps: Turn on to see recently used apps on the right side of the Dock.