Learn how to add a second phone number to your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR, and use both numbers from the same device. See how to switch between numbers for calls and messages, and set a preferred number for different contacts.
Using Dual SIM with an eSIM
iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR feature Dual SIM with a nano-SIM and an eSIM. An eSIM is a digital SIM that allows you to activate a cellular plan from your carrier without having to use a physical nano-SIM.
How you can use Dual SIM:
- Use one number for business and another number for personal calls.
- Add a local data plan when you travel outside of the country or region.
- Have separate voice and data plans.
What you need
- An iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR with iOS 12.1 or later
- A QR code or a carrier app from a wireless carrier that supports eSIM
Set up your cellular plan with eSIM
One of your cellular plans uses a nano-SIM and the other (or others) uses an eSIM. If you don’t have a nano-SIM and your carrier supports it, an eSIM can serve as your only cellular plan. The eSIM provided by your carrier is stored digitally in your iPhone.
To activate your second cellular plan, you can scan the QR code your carrier gave you, use your carrier’s iPhone app, or you can enter the information manually.
Scan a QR code
- Go to Settings.
- Tap either Cellular or Mobile Data.
- Tap Add Cellular Plan.
- Use your iPhone to scan the QR code that your carrier provided.
If you’re asked to enter a confirmation code to activate the eSIM, enter the number that your carrier provided.
Use a carrier app
- Go to the App Store and download your carrier’s app.
- Use the app to purchase a cellular plan.