If your ideas are popping up faster than you can type, try dictating your thoughts into the Notes app instead. You can even add punctuation and formatting with your voice.
You can use dictation instead of your keyboard to enter text with many apps and features that use the iOS keyboard.
- To enter text, tap on your keyboard, then start speaking.
- As you speak, the text appears on the screen.
- To finish, stop speaking, then tap on your keyboard.
Use punctuation and formatting
You can add punctuation by saying what you want. For example, “Hello Tom comma the car is dirty exclamation mark” becomes “Hello Tom, the car is dirty!”
Punctuation and formatting commands that you can use:
- Quote/end quote: begin and end a quote
- New paragraph: start a new paragraph
- New line: begin a new line
- Cap: capitalize the next word
- Caps on/caps off: capitalize the first character of each word
- Smiley: insert 🙂
- Frowny: insert 🙁
- Winky: insert 😉